Do you know the fire hazards in your home?
The possibility of seeing your home damaged by fire is never a pleasant thought, but unfortunately, it’s a harsh reality for thousands of Americans.
One way you can help protect your home is by understanding common fire hazards and knowing how to identify them and lesser-known hazards.
Here are just a few:
- Cooking may be the leading cause of home fires, but smoking inside is the leading cause of home fire deaths. And most of those fires start in bedrooms and living rooms due to excess flammable materials
- Watch your candles! When you’re burning a candle, be sure it’s kept at least one foot away from flammable materials; use a sturdy holder; never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home; and always blow out all candles before bed.
- Dust bunnies can pose a fire risk when collecting near electrical sockets and floor heaters. Sweeping or vacuuming in especially hard-to-reach areas like behind the entertainment system can help prevent buildup.
- Loose outlets in your home can cause movement and loosen the wires connected to the outlet, creating dangerous arching.
Fire and smoke damage can be devastating to homes, and in many circumstances, can be accompanied by water damage from firefighting efforts. If your home is damaged by fire or smoke, SERVPRO® of Greater Northern Charleston is here to help restore your home to pre-fire condition.
We are available 24/7 at 843.552.1226 or you can use our Contact Us page on the web.