If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (843) 552-1226

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Do you know the fire hazards in your home?

2/27/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Do you know the fire hazards in your home? All homes have fire hazards. Do you know yours?

The possibility of seeing your home damaged by fire is never a pleasant thought, but unfortunately, it’s a harsh reality for thousands of Americans.

One way you can help protect your home is by understanding common fire hazards and knowing how to identify them and lesser-known hazards.

Home fires caused by smoking are often fatal.

Cooking may be the leading cause of home fires, but smoking inside is the leading cause of home fire deaths. In 2014, an estimated 17,200 home structure fires were reported due to smoking habits, and included 570 deaths, 1,140 injuries per the Coalition for Fire-Safe Cigarettes

Fire-safe cigarettes are the best option, and deep, sturdy ashtrays should be used. Also, remember to put all cigarette butts and ashes in water or sand prior to throwing them out. 

Keep an eye on candles.

When you’re burning a candle, be sure it’s kept at least one foot away from anything that could catch on fire and is in a sturdy holder that won’t easily tip over. Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home, and always blow out all candles before leaving a room or going to sleep.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, during a five-year period from 2011 to 2015, fire departments in the United States responded to an estimated 8,700 home structure fires a year that were started by candles. In total, there were 82 deaths, 800 injuries and $295 million in direct property damage.

Watch for lesser-known fire hazards.

There are other lesser-known hazards that could be present in your home that could be causes of home structure fires.

Dust bunnies can pose a fire risk when collecting near electrical sockets and floor heaters. 

Also, look out for loose outlets in your home. The movement of these electrical outlets could loosen the wires connected to the outlet and create dangerous arcing.

Did you know that some kinds of glassware in your home could also be a fire risk? When sunlight passes through them, the concentrated ray may ignite flammable materials, which is why it’s smart to move glass accessories away from windows.

Fire and smoke damage can be devastating to homes, and in many circumstances, can be accompanied by water damage from firefighting efforts. If your home is damaged by fire or smoke, SERVPRO® of Greater Northern Charleston is here to help restore your home to pre-fire condition.

Contact us 24/7 at 843.552.1226 or on our Contact Us page on the web. We are always here to help!

Other News

View Recent Posts